DECLARE PRE-COMMUNICATION STUDIES AS A MAJOR
- Eligibility: Students must have a cumulative 2.0 GPA.
- To apply: Submit the Pre-Communication Studies Major Application to declare Pre-Communication Studies as a major. Please allow 5-7 business days for the application to be processed.
- Once successfully declared as a Pre-Communication Studies major, students will be assigned an advisor in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Advising Center in Fretwell 235, based off of their last name.
- Pre-Communication Studies majors cannot declare the upper division of Communication Studies as a major until all introductory requirements have posted to their academic transcript.
- The pre-requisites are as follows:
- COMM 1101 – Public Speaking
- COMM 2100 – Intro to Communication Theory (restricted to 2 attempts)
- STAT 1220 or 1222 – Intro to Statistics
- Foreign Language (Choose one of the two options):
♦Students must complete an Intermediate level (2000) of a Latin-alphabet based language
(ex: Spanish, French, German).
♦Students must complete the 1202 level of a non-Latin alphabet based language (ex: Chinese, Japanese, Hebrew).
DECLARE COMMUNICATION STUDIES AS A MAJOR
- Eligibility: Students must have a 2.0 cumulative GPA and have completed the introductory requirements. The final grades of the pre-requisite courses must be posted on the transcript. If students submit the online application before their final grades to these pre-requisites have been posted, the request to declare the major will be denied.
- To apply: Submit the Communication Studies Major Application to declare Communication Studies as a major and select a concentration. Please allow 5-7 business days for the application to be processed.
- Once successfully declared as a Communication Studies major, students will be assigned a new advisor in the Department of Communication Studies and they may register for core and required track courses for the following academic terms.
CHANGE YOUR COMMUNICATION STUDIES CONCENTRATION
- For fully declared Communication Studies majors ONLY: Students who are fully declared as Communication Studies majors may desire to select a different track. In order to do so, please submit the Communication Studies Majors – Change of Concentration form.
DECLARE JOURNALISM AS A MINOR
- Eligibility: Students must have a 2.0 Cumulative GPA.
- To apply: Submit the Journalism Minor Application to declare Journalism as your minor. Please allow 5-7 business days for the application to be processed.
- Journalism minors who are also declared Communication Studies majors may have the same advisor. View your assigned advisors in Connect or DegreeWorks.
DECLARE COMMUNICATION STUDIES AS A MINOR
- Eligibility: Students must have a 2.0 cumulative GPA.
- There are a limited number of spots available for the Communication Studies minor, and they are issued on a first-come, first-serve basis. There is one declaration day per Fall and Spring semester.
- To apply: Submit the Communication Studies Minor Application on the declaration date. The application will become live at 8:30 am and close at 5:00 pm.
Spring 2020 Declaration Date March 9th, 2019 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM