Academic advising services are provided to students who are interested in declaring Pre-Communication status, have declared Pre-Communication status, are Communication Studies majors or minors, or are Journalism minors.
Using the menu on the left, students can find course planning sheets and a variety of forms; admissions and transfer requirements; information on majors and minors; course catalogs and other academic resources; and Advising Frequently Asked Questions.
Need to repeat a course that you made a grade of D or higher in?
A repeat function has been added to the registration system. Students will no longer be allowed to immediately register for a course if credit has already been earned for that course, unless the course description in the University catalog indicates it "may be repeated for credit". If you attempt to register for a course in which you have previously earned credit the error message “Repeated Course” will appear.
If you feel there is a need to repeat a course, you will need to speak with someone in the main office, Colvard 5058.
Students may declare the Communication Studies major once the following requirements are met and are reflected on the academic transcript:
- A “C” or higher in COMM 1101 – Public Speaking
- A “C” or higher in COMM 2100 – Introduction to Communication Theory
- A “C” or higher in STAT 1220, 1221, or 1222
- Cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher
- Completion of a 2XXX-level course in a Latin alphabet based language (cannot be a culture or literature course) or a 1202- level course in a non Latin alphabet based language.
- The course sequence for foreign languages looks like this: 1201 ---> 1202 ---> 2XXX-level
- 2XXX- level languages include: French, German, Italian, Latin, Portuguese, Spanish, American Sign Language
- American Sign Language is not offered at UNC Charlotte
- 1202 level languages include: Chinese, Greek, Japanese, Russian, Arabic, Hebrew
For more information contact CommStudiesAdvising